Culture and Custom
American culture encompasses the customs and traditions of the United States. “Culture encompasses religion, food, what we wear, how we wear it, our language, marriage, music, what we believe is right or wrong, how we sit at the table, how we greet visitors, how we behave with loved ones, and a million other things,” said Cristina De Rossi, an anthropologist at Barnet and Southgate College in London.
The United States is the third largest country in the word with a population of more than 320 million, according to the U.S. Census Bureau. Because of this, the United States is one of the most culturally diverse countries in the world. Nearly every region of the world has influenced American culture, as it is a country of immigrants, most notably the English who colonized the country beginning in the early 1600s. U.S. culture has also been shaped by the cultures of Native Americans, Latin Americans, Africans and Asians.
Things to try in America
- Understand America in Washington DC
- Visit Ellis Island, New York
- Rock ‘n’ Roll in Memphis, Tennessee
- Toe tap at the SXSW in Austin, Texas
- Revel in the noise at the Indy 500, Indianapolis, Indiana
- Taste the world’s best BBQ in Tennessee
- View a live volcano on the Big Island, Hawai’i
- Relax on one of America’s best beaches, Florida
- Hike into the Grand Canyon, Arizona
- Back a winner at the Kentucky Derby, Kentucky
- Ride the rails across the USA
- Swim with dolphins in Florida
- Release your inner Rory on Pebble Beach, California
- Cruise Ol’ Man River: the Mississippi
- Get in to architecture in Chicago, Illinois
The term “United States”, when used in the geographical sense, is the contiguous United States, the state of Alaska, the island state of Hawaii, the five insular territories of Puerto Rico, Northern Mariana Islands, U.S. Virgin Islands, Guam, and American Samoa, andminor outlying possessions. The United States shares land borders with Canada and Mexico and maritime borders with Russia,Cuba, and the Bahamas in addition to Canada and Mexico.